Aje transformed The Paspaley Pearls store in Martin Place into a very elegant deserted island, with skulls, shells, pearls, sand, bottles and antique ornaments, for the off site runway show at MBFWA. Sitting front row at the 'Shipwrecked Ball', I was truly transfixed with the stunning, heavy detailed pieces. Models were like mermaids coming to life, walking in designs boasting embellished signature sequins, asymmetrical hemlines, cropped jackets, mid drift baring tops, and necks roped in layers of pearls.The elegant beauty of Aje's gowns were juxtaposed against half open, tongue out, lace up boots, linking in with the 'ship wrecked' theme. Aje's show was certainly the most impressive of the week. Their heavily embellished designs were truly captivating. Above, I am wearing an Aje ensemble teamed with Mezi Jewellery, thanks to the team at HushCommunications. The turquoise and coral stones in the Mezi rings tied in well with the earthy tones of the speckled print exposed in the cropped long sleeve blouse and high waisted trousers by Aje.
Here is an interview from Adrian and Eddi the designers;
- What was the inspiration behind the collection? Our inspiration came from the hypothetical scenario of a ball set in the sunken ruins of a glamorous shipwreck
- Who would you love to dress in Aje? Lou Doillon, Kate Bosworth, Vanessa Paradis, Natalia Vodianova
- Biggest career highlight? Our show at MBFWA was definitely one of our biggest career highlights to date
- Describe the hair and makeup used in the show? As the theme was the ‘Shipwrecked Ball’, the hair and makeup references reflected the underwater theme. Di Gorgievski and the Joico Hair team did an amazing job with extensions to create a Mermaid-esque mane of slick tousled locks and Amber D and the MAC team did a beautiful very natural fresh dewy look for the make-up. Very shipwrecked, and very Aje.
- In 3 words describe Aje: chic, luxurious, ‘disheveled elegance’
- What trends are you loving for S/S 2012? We’re generally not very trend driven with our designs but we are loving the peplum trend
- What are the main fabrics used in this collection? Hand stitched superfine leather, laser cut leather, hand-loomed cottons, hand-sequined embellishments
- How long have you been planning this show? It has been on our minds for the past year but thoughts turned into actions about 6 months ago
- What is the mood of the show? The mood went hand in hand with the theme of the show: like being a part of a glamorous ball held in a shipwreck at the bottom of the ocean
- Favorite piece from the collection? Our opening look on Nicole Pollard ie the gold rope sequined mini dress is our fave of the season but the wedding dress has also been a big hit so far
- What's next for Aje? Something extraordinary we hope!